Saturday, October 18, 2008

Harry Mitchell's Choice

What you are about to read is fictional, but it could have happened. (Isn't that what the Democrat Party is all about?)
Scene:
Harry Mitchell is ensconced at his desk busily returning phone calls to Pelosi, Rahm, and Rangel. In between he is practicing his talking points from the DailyKos and MoveOn.org for his upcoming debate with David Schweikert.
Secretary: Mr. Mitchell, a young woman from your church would like to speak to you.
Harry: Do you know who her parents are? Have they given money to my campaign? Forget it, I need a picture of a kid to put on my next mailer so send her in with the photographer. Will you make up a packet of info for her so I can direct her to the ACORN office? I'm sure they can help her find a way to exercise her right to vote.
Young girl:(a timid girl, probably not more that 14 enters the office) Mr. Mitchell, I saw that you go to my church and I know that you have been a teacher so I was hoping I could get your advice.
Harry: (This could be a goldmine for me. She looks Hispanic. Maybe she's related to a veteran. I could get hundreds of votes through this one contact.) Please do sit down (He points to a chair in front of the desk) Of course, what can I help you with.
Young girl: Well, I don't know how to start but I'm ....pregnant. I know what my mom and my priest would say. My boyfriend and I plan to marry when we finish high school but the big issue is, he's not the father.
Harry: (Boy my contributors at Planned Parenthood and NARAL will love me for this one! This is a slam dunk!) You know you are the one who has the right to choose to carry that child. Right now it sounds like the timing of your pregnancy is not right. You have your education and your future to think of. I know plenty of women who have had the courage to make the choice to end their pregnancy. (Harry gets up and walks around the desk. He puts his hand on the young girl's shoulder. And with the most compassionate expression he can muster, he continues) I'm glad you came to see me today. I'll have my assistant take you to Planned Parenthood. They understand and have the compassion to be with you all the way through the process. In just a short amount of time, you will be back to your life and free to continue your education. No one needs to know about this.
Young girl:(the tears begin to flow) But the priest says its a sin to have an abortion...
Harry: I know, but I'm Catholic too. You said we go to the same church. Listen, priests just can't understand what it's like to be a woman and bear a child. That's why I have always been a strong supporter of women's rights. You have to put your life ahead of this lump of tissue. It probably doesn't even have a soul (struggling to remember what Pelosi said in her interview on this subject) as church scholars have said.
Young girl: Thank you Mr. Mitchell. Would you mind going with me? I really don't want to be alone.
Harry: (Seeing the endless possibles to add to his voter roster and the great photo ops he can hardly conceal his grin, forcing the grandfatherly expression he is so accustomed to back on his face) Of course, you can always count on me to represent you and make sure that this right is safeguarded. It is a top priority for me.
The two get into a car followed by a photo team. They get first class priority service when the people at Planned Parenthood see their favorite candidate arrive at the door. Its all smiles and hugs with people gathering around for the photos with Mitchell. None notice the agonized look on the young girl who is filling out paperwork. Harry assures he she will be in good hands and leaves for his next campaign event.
A few hours later, the young girl emerges from the procedure center, now childless.
Young Man: (bursting through the door) Mary, Mary where are you? I do believe you, I had a dream and an angel assured me that what you told me was true. Baby, we're supposed to get married and your baby is who you said he is, the Son of God.
Mary: (a blood curdling scream emerges that stops everyone) Joseph, it's too late. I had an abortion.

No comments: